OUR MEMBER in the UAE (pending)
The United Arab Emirates is often abbreviated to simply UAE and is an important federation on the south-easterly side of the Arabian Peninsula, where it lies next to the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. Saudi Arabia is located on the western side of the United Arab Emirates, while Oman can be found to the south-east.
Formerly known as the Trucial States, the United Arab Emirates comprises the seven emirates (states) of Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Dubai, Ra’s al Khaymah and Umm al Quwain. Abu Dhabi is the biggest of these states and the vibrant capital, although Dubai tends to be the most famous.
Most visitors to the United Arab Emirates tend to arrive in the coastal city of Dubai, which has become known for its white sandy beaches, water sports, desert safaris, theme parks, epic shopping malls and many spectacular sites. These include the seven-star Jumeirah Beach Hotel, the Palm Islands and the Burj Dubai skyscraper, which is currently the world’s tallest structure made by man and towers high above the city’s skyline.
- Country: United Arab Emirates (South-West Asia / Arabian Peninsula)
- Population: approximately 5.5 million
- Capital city: Abu Dhabi (population 875,000)
- Biggest city: Dubai (population 1.5 million)
- Language: Arabic
- Main exports: natural gas and petroleum
- Area: 32,280 square miles / 83,600 square kilometres
- Currency: United Arab Emirates Dirham (AED)
- Time zone: GMT + 4 (daylight-saving time not observed)
- Country dialling code: +971
- Religion: Islam / Muslims